10 February 2010

buttery goodness

yum, I made this butter cake from my Edmonds book last weekend for afternoon tea with family and gave it a crumbly cinnamon topping from the PWMU cook book.  Its an easy 'throw everything into the old sunbeam mixmaster' recipe.  It turned out well in spite of some ingredient deviations, it was very light, a bit crumbly, but still delicious!
Here's the recipe . .


150g of softened butter - i used mostly salt free butter as i had run out of normal butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
3/4 cup of sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups of plain flour - i accidently used self raising flour
3 teaspoons of baking powder
3/4 cup of milk approximately

Cream butter, vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Sift flour and baking powder together.  Fold into creamed mixture.  Add sufficient milk to give a soft dropping consistency.  Spoon mixture into a greased and lined deep 20cm round cake tin (I love using my spring cake tin - so easy to get cakes out of) .  Bake at 180C for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.  Leave in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.

You can ice this cake with any type of icing or just dust with icing sugar.  I used this yummy cinnamon topping.

2 tablespoons of brown sugar
2 tablespoons of melted butter
1/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup coconut (or biscuit crumbs)
1 teaspoon of cinnamon

Combine butter and sugar and mix with other ingredients.  Sprinkle over the top of a butter cake before placing in the oven.  This topping may be used on stewed fruit, such as stewed pears or apple puree to make a Fruit Crumble.  Yum!

  
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Leah said...

Thanks for sharing, it looks delicious!

Michelle said...

... yum!! I'll have to try that :) I found my grannies old sunbeam mixer but I think it's seen better days? I'm thinking if I tried to plug it in it'd blow up!!

Janet said...

I found you thru another blog but I cant remember who! lol Your cake looks so yummy! Bc you have a lovely page Im gonna follow you! Im Janet in hot humid Houston TX. Virginia transplant! I need to try that cake!!! Come have a mosey round my blog...Im looking to have some blog friends and see nice good things of others too...
Janet ox